This incident will make people question its use, especially parents who have small kids because it could bring disastrous consequences to them. A Mexican mom shares her tragedy to warn other parents and prevent another person going through what she’s living: she lost her 2-year-old baby.
When she came back home after work, she went into her kid’s room. When she came up to kiss him, she saw he had a fever. She supposed it was just an ordinary cold and used a home remedy. She rubbed some Vick VapoRub on his back, chest, and under his nose in order to help him breathe easily. She put him up and then laid down next to him. She was exhausted, so she fell asleep immediately. A few hours later, she woke up, and she saw that her son wasn’t breathing. She took him to the hospital. Unfortunately, doctors couldn’t do anything, the baby had been dead for hours. The medical report stated the kid died due to inflammation in the respiratory track, affected by the camphor included in the well-known balm.
She never thought that a home remedy would take her baby. She just wished to help him breathe, but unfortunately, the solution did exactly the opposite. This balm works only for adults. In children younger than two years, the balm increases the mucus by 60%. The mucus builds up on the trachea and blocks the breathing.
The label warns the balm is not suitable for children under 3 years. In the tragic case of the Mexican boy, the warning went unnoticed. People use home remedies for many different conditions in homes all around the world, but we hope this story will increase the awareness: when we talk about children, we have to read the labels and ask for additional advice of specialists. Don’t let a simple mistake take your loved ones. We all should be extremely careful and ask for additional medical advice to deal with any disease.