A lot of people think that a salad means a simply a mixture of your favorite vegetables, however, there are many other factors you should think about when choosing the vegetables for your dinner or lunch salad. You should know that a combination of cucumber and tomatoes in the same salad is not recommendable since these vegetables don’t have the same digestion time. When you are choosing vegetables for your salad, you should know the exact digestion time of them.
Combining veggies that require less time for digestion and veggies that require more time for digestion isn’t a good combination because the lighter ingredients will end up passing in the intestine, but the first one is completely digested. This can cause food fermentation in your stomach which may cause toxins the entire body. It can also slow down the digestion and the fermentation of starches and sugar and you won’t be able to enjoy your lunch or dinner completely. What’s even worse, the fermentation process may cause stomach pain, swelling, and gasses.
There are some other food combinations, which you should definitely avoid:
- Fruits after a meal – Fruits are digested slowly and they shouldn’t remain in the stomach for a long period of time. When you consume fruits after your meal, you increase the chances of acid reflux and other digestive problems.
- Macaroni and cheese (and macaroni and meat) – This mixture is very popular and extremely delicious, but needs to be avoided because macaroni contains starch. It has a different digestion time than protein and can cause fermentation and other digestive issues.
- Meat and cheese – Don’t include too much protein in one meal and choose only one type of protein per meal.
- Orange juice with bread or noodles – The acid content needed to digest the juice can destroy the enzyme in charge of the starch digestion.
- Veggies and cheese – if you combine vegetables and cheese, you increase the risk of bloating.
- Melon and watermelon – watermelon and melon should be consumed alone, and never in a combination with other fruits.
- Bananas and milk – Milk and banana combination slows down the digestion.
- Fruits and yogurt – This delicious combination harms the intestinal flora and slows down the digestion.