We all suffer from cracked lips, especially in winter when the weather is cold and windy. But, you can easily solve this problem. You just need to change your lifestyle and to use the appropriate lip care remedy.
Dr. Clay J. Cockerell, dermatologist and medical director of Dermpath Diagnostics in Dallas, says that there are numerous different reasons that can cause chapped lips. Usually, this condition is caused by dryness and a combination of cold and windy weather.
Even though this is the main reason, sometimes there are some more serious causes for persistent chapped lips like:
- Inflammatory skin disease
- Sun damage to the lips that has become a precancerous condition
Dr. Cockerell adds, that if you notice that after using the appropriate lip care products the chapped lips problem still exists, you should immediately consult a dermatologist and learn more about the root cause of this problem.
Breaking the Chapped Lips Habit
The following advices will help you in the prevention and treatment of chapped lips:
- Stay hydrated. Cracked lips can be cause by a lack of water in your body. So, you should consume more water to stay hydrated. This way you will prevent the problem before it happens.
- Use lip care products with a high sun protection factor. These types of lip product will protect your lips from the sun, which can often be a reason for chapped lips.
- Don’t lip-lick. People who have chapped lips, usually lick their lips to avoid the feeling of dryness. But, you should know that this habit is not good for this problem. Licking your dry lips will worsen the condition. So, instead of doing this, you can apply some lip balm.
- Don’t exfoliate. Exfoliation it is not recommended as it can make dry lips even more uncomfortable. You should be patient and the skin on the lips will regenerate on its own.
Choosing the Right Chapped Lip Product
Paraffin and petrolatum based balm is the best choice for your lips, because it can protect your lips from the elements, and will give them time to heal. Dr. Cockerell recommends Vaseline Intensive Lip Therapy or ChapStick frequently during the day. He adds that you should always choose those with sunscreen protection. This way your skin will return to normal very soon.
If you notice the first signs chapped lips you shouldn’t go through your medicine cabinet immediately. Just try the following advices to relieve and prevent the condition:
- Antibiotic ointment. Dr. Cockerell warns that you don’t need antibiotics unless you have an infection. She adds that if you think that your lips are infected you should consult a doctor as soon as possible in order to find the best treatment instead of trying self-medications.
- Zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is mainly found in a sunscreen. It is not a treatment for chapped lips, but will help prevent your lips from the sun.
- Hydrocortisone. Dr. Cockerell says that hydrocortisone can cause a problem with thinning of the skin around the mouth. Additionally, it can cause an acne-like condition.
- Natural products. You should be very careful with the recommended products such as coconut oil, mentholatum, lanolin, and Shea butter because they can lead to certain allergies. Additionally, they can make yourdry and cracked lips even worse.